Positive / Negative electric fence
An electric shock can only be received when somebody touches both the positive and negative contacts at the same time.
In electric fence systems, the negative contact is grounded.
No grounding – no electric shock.
This phenomenon is familiar to anyone who has seen birds sitting on high-voltage power lines.
Similar things happen when, for example, animals climb up onto a wooden fence and touch an electric cable.
In this case too, the animal does not receive an electric shock and the electric fence is ineffective.
The solution to this is a positive / negative electric fence!
With this special type of electric fence you can keep or deter animals even if they don't make direct contact with the ground.
Areas of application for positive/negative electric fences:
Animals that do not make contact with the ground, such as
- martens on carports, in gutters ...
- raccoons on house walls, on drain pipes ...
- cats standing on panel fences ...
areas with poorly conducting ground conditions, such as
- dry soil
- stony soil
- snow-covered soil
Details of Positive-Negative electric fence
With a positive/negative fence the wires are alternately connected to the fence connection (positive terminal) and the ground connection (negative terminal) on the energiser. These wires are separated by a distance that is too small for the animal to slip between them without touching both at the same time. When two wires are touched simultaneously, an electric shock is felt. The current flows directly from the fence wire (positive terminal), through the body that is touching both wires to the ground wire (negative terminal).
An electric shock delivered in this direct manner is on the one hand very intensive, but on the other is much gentler on the animal as the current only flows through a small part of the body (compare this to how a conventional electric fence works).
Positive-Negative electric fence products
Electric-Fence.co.uk carries a range of items that will help you to easily put together a positive/negative electric fence!
Complete kits for securing your house
- Complete kit for raccoons and co. 20 m (item no. 46039)
- 10 m extension for complete kit raccoons and co. (Item no. 46040)
- 7-wire insulators positive / negative with wooden thread (Item no. 44331 and 44332)
- 6-wire insulators positive / negative with metric thread (Item no. 44927 and 44928)
- 230 V VOSS MiniSafe Protec (item no. 30902)
- 9?V Battery energiser BV3900 (12 V operation also possible) (item no. 42030)
- Polywire (Item no. 44509)
- High-grade steel wires (Item no. 44572 and 44573)
- High-voltage cable (Item no. 32615).
- Connectors (Item no. 44751 and 44684)
- Fence tester with digital display (Item no. 44863)
- Dual lightning protection mechanism (Item no. 44880)
- Fence supply cable (Item no. 32615).
- Galvanised steel core lead out cable (Item no. 32601)
- Grounding post (Item no. 44219)
- Warning sign "CAUTION ELECTRIC FENCE" (Item no. 44735)
- Universal mount and base plate (Item no. 46150, 46151)
- Ground fault circuit breaker (Item no. 48015)
- 9 V electric fence battery (item no. 34420, 34455)